Previous
Brighton & Hove Albion
Stoke City
2
2
FT
Game Details
Eibar
Real Betis
5
0
FT
Game Details
Hellas Verona
Bologna
2
3
FT
Game Details
SC Amiens
Lille
3
0
FT
Game Details
Palermo
Cittadella
0
3
FT
Game Details
Dynamo Dresden
Kaiserslautern
1
2
FT
Game Details
Lens
Niort
3
1
FT
Game Details
Next

Transfer Rater: Mahrez to Manchester City

Transfers
Read

Transfer Rater: David Luiz to Man United

Transfers
Read
 By Ian Holyman

Monaco will 'do everything for Kylian Mbappe to stay' - Vadim Vasilyev

Monaco have reiterated their intention to keep hold of Kylian Mbappe despite the teenager's stock having gone through the roof after helping knock Manchester City out of the Champions League.

City reportedly had a €40 million bid for Mbappe turned down last summer when the then-17-year-old was also being linked with Paris Saint-Germain, Arsenal, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich, but he instead signed his first professional contract with Monaco, tying himself to the club until 2019.

Since then, Mbappe has scored 10 league goals in as many starts and scored in both legs against City to help put Monaco into the Champions League quarterfinals for a second time in three years. 

In the immediate aftermath of his team's away goals triumph over Pep Guardiola's men on Wednesday, Monaco vice-president Vadim Vasilyev had said Mbappe was at the Stade Louis II to stay.

Kylian Mbappe's form has earned a call up to the senior France squad.

When asked by L'Equipe in an interview published on Friday whether Monaco would be tempted to cash in on Mbappe in the same way as they accepted the potential €80 million offer from Manchester United for Anthony Martial in 2015, Vasilyev again stood firm.

"Kylian is a child of the club. He embodies the quality of our youth academy. He has parents who are very intelligent and who know the world of football very well," Vasilyev said.

"We'll do everything for him to stay and it's very possible that he is there next season. I don't see why he would leave."

He added: "The financial situation wasn't the same [when Martial left]. We had a big deficit in 2015, there was Financial Fair Play to think about, and we needed to sell.

"With this qualification [for the quarterfinals], our budget is balanced and we don't need money. We can treat matters case by case. There's an ongoing project based around Kylian."

Vasilyev did, however, leave the door open to a potential departure.

"You can't guarantee anything, not any more in this field than in others, or in private life," he said. "I can't reply categorically."

Ian is ESPN's French football correspondent. Twitter: @ian_holyman

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.