Max Kruse joins Werder Bremen from Wolfsburg
Werder Bremen unveiled the signing of German striker Max Kruse on Tuesday.
Kruse, 28, who played for Bremen between 2006 and 2009, penned a permanent deal for a base fee of €6 million that can extend to €9 million with bonuses, according to Bild.
"We are very happy that Max returns to Bremen with full conviction," said general manager Frank Baumann on the club's official website.
Kruse made his Bundesliga debut for Werder Bremen in 2007 against Arminia Bielefeld, which remained his only German top-flight appearance until 2010.
Baumann added: "He is a player that took a stellar development in recent years. He proved his qualities on the highest level for club and country."
The attacker went on to play for St. Pauli, SC Freiburg and Borussia Monchengladbach in the meantime.
He scored nine and assisted 12 goals in 43 games across competition for the Wolves in the past season. However, his time in a Wolfsburg shirt only lasted one year.
In 2015, Kruse penned a four-year-deal at Wolfsburg, arriving from Borussia Monchengladbach for €12 million.
"Max can be utilised on various positions in attack and opens up a lot of options in our game. We followed his preseason so far and are confident that he can show his presence on the field from the outset," said Bremen coach Viktor Skripnik on his new player.
Werder Bremen had a vacancy in the striking department after selling their first-choice centre-forward Anthony Ujah, 25, to Chinese Super League side Liaoning FC for €11.5 million this summer.
Kruse, who can fill Ujah's spot at the Weserstadion, is looking for a fresh start at his new club. He caught the attention of the headlines due to off-field misconduct.
The player said on his transfer: "The football is the centre of my life and I find the right conditions to reinvigorate my career in Bremen."
"I played my first Bundesliga match for the club. Now I want to play my part and help this club back to old strength. I'm elated that this transfer was realised and I will give my all for this club and my team," said Kruse.
The German international, who has 14 call-ups, was dropped from the Germany squad by Joachim Low and received a telling off by Wolfsburg earlier this year.
Stefan Buczko covers Borussia Dortmund for ESPN FC. Twitter: @StefanBuczko.