Gonzalo Higuain to Juventus rumours 'a hoax' - De Laurentiis' son
The son of Napoli owner Aurelio De Laurentiis says widespread reports of Juventus bidding to sign striker Gonzalo Higuain are nothing but "a hoax".
All of Italy's three daily sports newspapers -- La Gazzetta dello Sport, Il Corriere dello Sport and Tuttosport -- lead with reports on Friday the Bianconeri are prepared to meet Napoli's €94.7 million asking price for the Argentina international.
Although no sources are named, the three papers are certain a bid has been made and talks are advancing between the two Serie A clubs, with Arsenal and Paris Saint-Germain both waiting in the wings in case a deal does not go through.
The chances of a deal being struck are next to nothing, according to Eduardo De Laurentiis, who told La Gazzetta dello Sport that the "whole thing is a hoax," adding: "You should not believe everything."
Napoli inserted such a high release clause in Higuain's contract in a bid to scare off interested parties, with the club desperate to keep hold of the fans' favourite.
The former Real Madrid player scored 36 goals in 35 Serie A appearances last season and is contracted to Napoli until 2018. Furthermore, they are able to offer him Champions League football this season having finished runners-up to Juve last term, increasing the likelihood of them keeping hold of the 28-year-old.
Previously, it had been reported that Higuain's brother and agent had held talks with Arsenal, while Atletico Madrid had also been linked with making a move for last season's Serie A top goal scorer.
Ben Gladwell reports on Serie A, the Italian national team and the Bundesliga for ESPN FC, UEFA and the Press Association. @UEFAcomBenG.