Alex Teixeira not moving to China - Shakhtar boss Mircea Lucescu
Shakhtar Donetsk boss Mircea Lucescu has rejected claims Alex Teixeira is set to join Chinese club Jiangsu Suning for €50 million.
Liverpool had been eager to sign Alex Teixeira during the January window and the Brazilian said they had failed with a €32m bid for his services, but Shakhtar executive Sergei Palkin suggested that had been way below his club's asking price as he confirmed that the forward has a €70m release clause in his contract.
Liverpool shelved their efforts to sign the player, with boss Jurgen Klopp saying he felt his club's offer had been "realistic," but Alex Teixeira has since been linked with a move to China, where the transfer window remains open until Feb. 26.
- Atletico sell Jackson Martinez to Chinese club for €42m
- How your Premier League side did in the transfer window
- Prem spending hits £1bn | Imbula joins Stoke for £18.3m
- Bayern loan Tasci | Doumbia to Newcastle | Sanogo loan
- Anderlecht sign Buttner | Perotti to Roma | Eder to Lille
- Fletcher to Marseille | Van Ginkel get PSV | Powell loan
- Fer to Swansea | Fazio rejoins Sevilla | Jones, N.E. talks?
- FC TV: Not sure Teixeira's worth the money | Paul Pogba
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
However, Lucescu denied claims that Dan Petrescu's Jiangsu -- who signed Ramires from Chelsea for £25m last month -- are set to complete a deal.
"We haven't sold Alex Teixera," the Shakhtar coach told Calcio Mercato. "I am not aware of any negotiations with Chinese clubs -- they are just the usual rumours which do the rounds during the transfer periods.
"The lad's not going anywhere. He's staying with us until the end of the season."
Alex Teixeira said in November that Chelsea and Juventus had been in talks to sign him, and the Serie A club are reported to retain an interest.
ESPN FC's Italy correspondent, Ben Gladwell, contributed to this report.