Previous
Switzerland
Poland
1:00 PM UTC
Game Details
Wales
Northern Ireland
4:00 PM UTC
Game Details
Croatia
Portugal
7:00 PM UTC
Game Details
United States
Colombia
12:00 AM UTC Jun 26, 2016
Game Details
Next

Rodrigo Bentancur settled at Boca despite Real Madrid talk - father

Rodrigo Bentancur is a Uruguayan midfielder.

Reported Real Madrid target Rodrigo Bentancur is happy at Boca Juniors for the moment, according to his father.

Madrid have been tracking Uruguayan playmaker Bentancur, 18, according to reports, with Serie A side Juventus also said to have shown an interest.

The recently imposed FIFA transfer ban to cover the summer 2017 and January 2018 windows may force the Bernabeu outfit into moving quickly into the market this month, although the club have said they will appeal that sanction.

Earlier this week Boca president Daniel Angelici said he had not received a formal bid yet from Madrid for Bentancur, while appearing to suggest that his club would be open to selling, for a price under €15 million.

Speaking on Radio de la Red, in quotes reported by Ole, Roberto Bentancur said he did not want to look too far into the future, and his son really appreciated the chance he had been given to come through and establish himself at the Buenos Aires club.

"He has his friends at Boca, he likes it there, we appreciate how the club has looked after him and given him a chance at the top level," he said.

"Speaking about today, Rodrigo is focused on that. He is a relaxed kid. We do not want to get ahead of ourselves. He is just training, doing the preseason with Boca. We must wait and see what happens."

With speculation of a looming transfer ban having been around for quite some time, Madrid have stocked up on young players through the last 18 months -- spending upwards of €35 million on Norwegian teenager Martin Odegaard, Brazilian midfielder Lucas Silva, Real Mallorca playmaker Marcos Asensio, Real Zaragoza defender Jesus Vallejo and Bentancurs fellow Uruguay youth international Federico Valverde.

Los Blancos have also tended to sign at least one young South American talent each January through recent years -- with Lucas Silva 12 months ago following current Las Palmas striker Willian Jose in 2014 and Casemiro in 2013.

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.