Jonathan de Guzman could make Swansea return on loan - sources
Swansea City are closing in on the signing of former loan star Jonathan De Guzman, sources have told ESPN FC.
De Guzman, 28, has been targeted as an ideal replacement for Jonjo Shelvey following the England midfielder's £12 million move to Newcastle earlier this week.
- Atletico sell Jackson Martinez to Chinese club for €42m
- How your Premier League side did in the transfer window
- Prem spending hits £1bn | Imbula joins Stoke for £18.3m
- Bayern loan Tasci | Doumbia to Newcastle | Sanogo loan
- Anderlecht sign Buttner | Perotti to Roma | Eder to Lille
- Fletcher to Marseille | Van Ginkel get PSV | Powell loan
- Fer to Swansea | Fazio rejoins Sevilla | Jones, N.E. talks?
- FC TV: Not sure Teixeira's worth the money | Paul Pogba
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
Swansea boss Alan Curtis revealed after Wednesday's defeat to Sunderland that he was desperate to bolster his squad in this month's transfer window to try to move clear of the relegation zone and he has lined up a move for De Guzman.
The Netherlands international, who spent two seasons on loan at Swansea, is currently out of favour at Napoli and came close to a move back to the Premier League in the summer when Bournemouth tried to sign him, but the move failed to materialise.
De Guzman has not featured for Napoli this season and the club are willing to let him move on as he does not figure in their long-term plans. On Wednesday he posted a picture on his Instagram account after having surgery along with what appeared to be a dig at Napoli over the management of his injury.
De Guzman joined Swansea on loan in 2012 from Villarreal and spent two successful seasons at the Liberty Stadium, helping the club to their first ever major silverware with two goals in the Capital One Cup final victory over Bradford in his first season in England.
Swansea were keen to make the move permanent at the end of his two-year loan, but cooled their interest after talks dragged on and Napoli swooped in to sign the attacking midfielder.
However, Swansea are now ready to turn to De Guzman again as they look to add some creativity to their midfield in the wake of Shelvey's departure.