Liverpool not interested in Corinthians forward Alexandre Pato - Jurgen Klopp
LIVERPOOL -- Jurgen Klopp has said stories suggesting Liverpool are aiming to sign Alexandre Pato from Corinthians are wide of the mark.
Former AC Milan forward Pato has confirmed he would like to move to the Premier League and had been strongly linked with a move to Anfield.
Asked if the Brazilian was a target, Klopp initially said that he did not wish to discuss transfer speculation.
"I could say the truth but no," he said at a news conference on Monday. "Because I don't want to answer all of the questions about [possible targets], I would like to say that we don't talk about things like this before we sign contracts."
However, he then made clear that Liverpool are not seeking a deal for the player, telling journalists: "But you don't have to follow the Pato path any longer -- that's only my private advice."
- Atletico sell Jackson Martinez to Chinese club for €42m
- How your Premier League side did in the transfer window
- Prem spending hits £1bn | Imbula joins Stoke for £18.3m
- Bayern loan Tasci | Doumbia to Newcastle | Sanogo loan
- Anderlecht sign Buttner | Perotti to Roma | Eder to Lille
- Fletcher to Marseille | Van Ginkel get PSV | Powell loan
- Fer to Swansea | Fazio rejoins Sevilla | Jones, N.E. talks?
- FC TV: Not sure Teixeira's worth the money | Paul Pogba
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
Pato has recovered his fitness and his best form since leaving Milan for Corinthians in a €15 million deal in January 2013, although he has spent much of that time on loan at Sao Paulo.
The player's agent said last month that several Serie A sides are interested in signing the 26-year-old.
Tom is ESPN FC's Liverpool correspondent. Follow him @writertombell.