Porto plan Ruben Neves stay despite Chelsea, Liverpool links
Porto want to keep highly rated midfielder Ruben Neves for "many years" despite reported interest from a host of top clubs.
Neves, who has drawn comparisons with Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets, has been linked with Chelsea as well as Liverpool in recent weeks.
However, Porto president Pinto da Costa said he was confident the 18-year-old would stay, suggesting he could even follow in the footsteps of former Portugal defender Joao Pinto, who spent his entire career at the Estadio do Dragao.
"I hope that he stays for many years at FC Porto," he said. "Ruben has a contract until 2019 and not until 2017, as I have sometimes seen written, and we would like to keep him at the club, as a kind of Joao Pinto -- he was a symbol of the club's progress for generations.
"I never want him to leave FC Porto."
THE BEST OF ESPN FC
- Bell: Liverpool fans make themselves heard
- Cox: Leicester improving | Why Poch should stay
- Okwonga: Man United's market | City's title hopes
- Laurens: PSG's pre-UCL issues | Hertha's curse
- Highlights (U.S. only): Stuttgart 1-3 BVB
- FC TV: Champions League W2W4 | LVG wrong
- News | Transfer | Toe Poke | Fantasy | FC TV | Podcast | MLS
Neves became the youngest player to captain a side in Champions League history in Tuesday's 2-0 victory over Maccabi Tel-Aviv and the Porto chief added that it was a "great satisfaction" to see him break the record.
Neves is represented by agent Jorge Mendes, whose clients include Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho, Cristiano Ronaldo, Angel Di Maria and David De Gea.