Rafael Santos Borre on verge of wrapping up move to Atletico Madrid
Colombian striker Rafael Santos Borre is set to complete a €5 million move to Atletico Madrid.
Santos Borre, 19, has arrived in the Spanish capital to complete his transfer from Colombian club Deportivo Cali, which is likely to see him spend the 2015-16 season on loan at his old club.
Speaking to AS, he said he was looking forward to following in the footsteps of fellow Colombians Jackson Martinez, who joined Atletico from Porto this summer, and Falcao, who had two outstanding years at the club from 2011 to 2013.
"I know this is a big club which has won a lot of trophies recently and has won a lot of prestige," Santos Borre said. "I have been told to relax, that I am joining a great club.
- Atletico sell Jackson Martinez to Chinese club for €42m
- How your Premier League side did in the transfer window
- Prem spending hits £1bn | Imbula joins Stoke for £18.3m
- Bayern loan Tasci | Doumbia to Newcastle | Sanogo loan
- Anderlecht sign Buttner | Perotti to Roma | Eder to Lille
- Fletcher to Marseille | Van Ginkel get PSV | Powell loan
- Fer to Swansea | Fazio rejoins Sevilla | Jones, N.E. talks?
- FC TV: Not sure Teixeira's worth the money | Paul Pogba
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
"I know it is a top-level club. I know the competition for places is very tough -- but with humility and hard work you can win a place."
The striker impressed for Colombia at the Sudamericano youth tournament and subsequent Under-20 World Cup in New Zealand, and has already been called up to the senior national squad.
His move to Atletico had been mooted all summer, with agent Helmut Wenin suggesting in early August that the best outcome for all parties would be for his client to join them now but spend another season on loan in Colombia.
The signing of Santos Borre is similar to that of River Plate's Argentine midfielder Matias Kranevitter, 22, who is poised to join Atletico in an €8 million deal that looks set to see him spend some at least of the season back at River on loan.