Everton to wrap up move for River Plate's Ramiro Funes Mori - sources
Everton are poised to complete the £6 million signing of Argentina centre-back Ramiro Funes Mori from River Plate this weekend, sources have told ESPN FC.
Mori is flying to England to have a medical ahead of his transfer and will become Everton's fourth signing of the summer after the club agreed a fee and arranged a work permit.
The 24-year-old, who has won one international cap, will add to the Merseysiders' centre-back options after the release of Antolin Alcaraz and Sylvain Distin at the end of last season.
- Atletico sell Jackson Martinez to Chinese club for €42m
- How your Premier League side did in the transfer window
- Prem spending hits £1bn | Imbula joins Stoke for £18.3m
- Bayern loan Tasci | Doumbia to Newcastle | Sanogo loan
- Anderlecht sign Buttner | Perotti to Roma | Eder to Lille
- Fletcher to Marseille | Van Ginkel get PSV | Powell loan
- Fer to Swansea | Fazio rejoins Sevilla | Jones, N.E. talks?
- FC TV: Not sure Teixeira's worth the money | Paul Pogba
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
Manager Roberto Martinez has made bringing in a new central defender one of his top priorities this summer.
Everton are battling to keep hold of Chelsea target John Stones -- with Chelsea's latest bid of £30 million being rejected earlier this week -- but the Merseyside club plan to bring in Mori whether or not the England international departs.
Funes Mori is regarded as one of the best young defenders in South America after helping River Plate win the Copa Libertadores last season.
The Toffees have been in advanced talks with River Plate for a number of weeks after several scouting missions to Argentina.
Spanish club Villarreal are also chasing Funes Mori, but Everton are confident that he will make the move to Goodison Park.