Rafael Santos Borre agrees deal to join Atletico Madrid in 2016, agent says
Atletico Madrid have agreed to sign young Colombian striking prospect Rafael Santos Borre for a fee of about €5 million, according to the player's agent.
Deportivo Cali forward Santos Borre, 19, impressed when representing Colombia at this year's Sudamericano youth tournament and subsequent Under-20 World Cup in New Zealand.
A fee of between €3.8 and €5m has reportedly been agreed with Atletico, and the player -- who has already been called up to the Colombia senior squad -- remaining with his current club for another 12 months.
The player's agent Helmut Wenin has told Colombian news outlet El Heraldo that the final agreement had been reached on the details of the transfer, with his client remaining with his current club for their Copa Libertadores 2016 campaign.
"The two clubs have reached an agreement," Wenin said. "He will stay playing at Deportivo Cali for the rest of the year, and the first half of 2016. Then he will join Atletico."
The signing would follow a clear policy by Atletico of investing in young South American talent, with the club having also signed Argentine attacker Angel Correa and Uruguayan defenders Jose Maria Gimenez and Emiliano Velazquez, the latter of whom is returning on loan to Getafe for the 2015-16 campaign.
- Atletico sell Jackson Martinez to Chinese club for €42m
- How your Premier League side did in the transfer window
- Prem spending hits £1bn | Imbula joins Stoke for £18.3m
- Bayern loan Tasci | Doumbia to Newcastle | Sanogo loan
- Anderlecht sign Buttner | Perotti to Roma | Eder to Lille
- Fletcher to Marseille | Van Ginkel get PSV | Powell loan
- Fer to Swansea | Fazio rejoins Sevilla | Jones, N.E. talks?
- FC TV: Not sure Teixeira's worth the money | Paul Pogba
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
Correa might get his chance to impress coach Diego Simeone over the coming season, although the 20-year-old will have to fight for a place with Antoine Griezmann, Fernando Torres and summer signings Luciano Vietto and Jackson Martinez.
Young Atletico defender Lucas, who this week agreed a new long term contract with the club, told Los Colchoneros' website that he was excited by the attacking power at Simeone's disposal this term.
"Up front we have very strong and fast players who are going to give us a lot this year," Lucas said. "Griezmann ended up as the team's top scorer, Vietto showed at Villarreal the ease with which he attacks, and we have all seen what Jackson did at Porto."