Mathieu Valbuena set to join Lyon from Dinamo Moscow
Dinamo Moscow midfielder Mathieu Valbuena is expected to complete his move to Lyon on Tuesday, returning to Ligue 1 just a year after leaving for Russia.
Valbuena, 30, arrived in Lyon on Monday evening, according to Le Progres, and will undergo a medical on Tuesday morning before putting pen to paper on a three-year deal that will complete his switch from Dinamo.
The two clubs have agreed a €5 million fee for the France international, who was seeking to leave the Russian club after they were banned from European competition by UEFA for breaching financial fair play rules.
Valbuena's arrival will provide Lyon coach Hubert Fournier with more creative midfield options and provide stiff competition for Nabil Fekir -- one of the revelations of the last Ligue 1 campaign.
- Atletico sell Jackson Martinez to Chinese club for €42m
- How your Premier League side did in the transfer window
- Prem spending hits £1bn | Imbula joins Stoke for £18.3m
- Bayern loan Tasci | Doumbia to Newcastle | Sanogo loan
- Anderlecht sign Buttner | Perotti to Roma | Eder to Lille
- Fletcher to Marseille | Van Ginkel get PSV | Powell loan
- Fer to Swansea | Fazio rejoins Sevilla | Jones, N.E. talks?
- FC TV: Not sure Teixeira's worth the money | Paul Pogba
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
Fekir, 22, earned himself a France call-up after contributing 13 goals and nine assists as OL finished runners-up to Paris Saint-Germain to qualify for the Champions League group stage.
"It's good news. He's quite a good player," Fekir told reporters of Valbuena's impending arrival after Lyon's goalless draw with Lorient on Sunday. "He's an international whom I came across in the France team. I hope he'll be able to add something for us."
Valbuena's return to France has not gone down well at Marseille, where the player made his name during an eight-year spell before leaving the Stade Velodrome for Dinamo last summer.
The club had decided to retire Valbuena's No. 28 shirt in honour of his performances for them, but RMC has reported Marseille may reconsider should he join Ligue 1 rivals Lyon.