Chelsea offer Van Ginkel to Stoke in new Asmir Begovic bid - sources
Chelsea are moving closer to signing Stoke City goalkeeper Asmir Begovic and have offered midfielder Marco van Ginkel in part exchange, sources have told ESPN FC.
As ESPN FC revealed last month, Chelsea identified Begovic as their top target to replace Petr Cech following the Czech international's move to Arsenal.
Stoke confirmed Dutchman Van Ginkel's loan on Friday evening, as they also signed Shay Given as a possible replacement for Begovic.
The Premier League champions saw an initial £6 million bid rejected by Stoke, but are now confident that an improved offer of £8 million plus Van Ginkel will seal the move.
Chelsea have had a long-standing interest in Begovic, having previously tried to sign the Bosnian as an understudy to Cech a few years ago.
Jose Mourinho is keen to bring in a quality experienced goalkeeper as back-up to Thibaut Courtois and former Portsmouth keeper Begovic, who joined Stoke in 2010, fits the bill.
- Atletico sell Jackson Martinez to Chinese club for €42m
- How your Premier League side did in the transfer window
- Prem spending hits £1bn | Imbula joins Stoke for £18.3m
- Bayern loan Tasci | Doumbia to Newcastle | Sanogo loan
- Anderlecht sign Buttner | Perotti to Roma | Eder to Lille
- Fletcher to Marseille | Van Ginkel get PSV | Powell loan
- Fer to Swansea | Fazio rejoins Sevilla | Jones, N.E. talks?
- FC TV: Not sure Teixeira's worth the money | Paul Pogba
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
The Potters have decided to cash in on Begovic, with the player entering the final year of his contract and talks over a new deal reaching stalemate.