Arsenal register Morgan Schneiderlin interest with Southampton - sources
Arsenal have made their first moves towards signing Southampton midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin, sources have told ESPN FC.
Arsenal had been strongly linked with a move for Schneiderlin last summer but Southampton refused to allow him to leave after seeing Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana, Luke Shaw and Dejan Lovren exit St Mary's.
The France international had made public his frustration that he was denied the chance to move on, but ESPN FC has been told that Saints officials have reassured him that he will be allowed to leave at the right price this summer.
Although Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino remains an admirer of the 25-year-old after having worked with him at Southampton, the player has made clear his desire to play Champions League football next season and Arsenal appear to be the frontrunners.
The Gunners have now made contact with Southampton, although they have yet to register an offer.
Schneiderlin is currently sidelined with a knee injury that will keep him out for the rest of the season, and Saints boss Ronald Koeman said last week that he was uncertain whether he would represent the club again.
Asked if Schneiderlin had played his last game for the club, Koeman said: "I don't know, or about interest or about bids. We like to keep everybody but we know sometimes it's difficult. There aren't any serious bids for the player. He is happy, but it's up to the player."
Southampton also face a battle to hold onto England full-back Nathaniel Clyne, who was given a 10-day deadline to make a decision on his future last week, with sources telling ESPN FC that Manchester United have registered an interest.
Saints midfielder Victor Wanyama, meanwhile, has also been linked with Arsenal.
Sorry - was caught off guard this morning about a story that I hadn't read. To put it straight:- Victor Wanyama (@VictorWanyama) April 23, 2015
We all respect Arsenal but right now I'm only focussed on helping Saints to have a strong finish to the season.- Victor Wanyama (@VictorWanyama) April 23, 2015
The newspaper article does not say that I have spoken to Wenger or anyone else from Arsenal - and that's the truth.- Victor Wanyama (@VictorWanyama) April 23, 2015
We are doing so well and what other managers think of me as a player is totally out of my control.- Victor Wanyama (@VictorWanyama) April 23, 2015
Southampton officials have assured Koeman that he will be allowed to reinvest funds from any sales.