Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger suggests Lukas Podolski is close to Inter move
Arsene Wenger has indicated that Arsenal forward Lukas Podolski could now be set for a move to Inter Milan despite having previously described the Italian club's interest as a "joke."
Podolski recently said he was set to seek talks with Arsenal over his future after growing frustrated with his lack of playing time, and Inter boss Roberto Mancini confirmed he was eager to sign the player.
Wenger then said Inter's interest was "not serious," but he confirmed after his team's 2-0 defeat to Southampton that the Nerazzurri are now ready to offer more realistic terms for the Germany international.
"The first proposal was farcical," Wenger said. "After, they came back a bit more serious. 'Inevitable' in a transfer is very difficult to say, but we'll see what happens."
The Daily Telegraph reports that Inter are now offering to take the striker on loan with an option to complete a permanent deal for five million pounds at the end of the season.
The newspaper suggested the deal was imminent, and Sky Sports News reported that Podolski was due to fly to Milan on Friday evening.
BREAKING: Sky Sources: Lukas Podolski to travel to Milan tonight ahead of proposed loan move to Inter Milan. #SSNHQ- Sky Sports News HQ (@SkySportsNewsHQ) January 2, 2015
A report in the Daily Mirror had earlier claimed Podolski had stormed out of training on Wednesday as he was frustrated that Arsenal were blocking his move to Inter, but the 29-year-old used his Twitter account to deny that was the case.