Ricky Alvarez joins Sunderland on loan from Inter Milan
Sunderland have signed Argentina international Ricky Alvarez on loan from Inter Milan.
The 26-year-old became the Black Cats' second signing on the final day of the transfer window, after loaning Liverpool's Sebastian Coates, and their ninth of the summer.
Summer transfer window roundup
- Premier League: Team-by-team ins and outs
- Transfer Centre: All the done deals
- Marcotti: Mind-boggling transfers
- Delaney: What did we learn on deadline day?
- Horncastle: European transfer grades
- Smith: Transfers more important than the game?
- Macintosh: We worship goals, not balance sheets
Alvarez told Sunderland's official website: "I'm very happy to be here. It's a great opportunity, a great club and I'm looking forward to playing in England and playing my part for Sunderland."
The midfielder joined Inter three years ago from Velez Sarsfield for 12.8 million euros and has scored 14 goals in 90 games for the Serie A club.
His fellow Argentinian, defender Santiago Vergini, is one of Sunderland's other seven recruits, while Jack Rodwell, who cost 10 million pounds from Manchester City, is their most expensive arrival.
Manager Gus Poyet has also brought in goalkeeper Costel Pantilimon, right-back Billy Jones, left-back Patrick van Aanholt, midfielder Jordi Gomez and winger Will Buckley.
Sunderland also attempted to sign Fabio Borini from Liverpool, but the move broke down.