Chelsea agree two-year loan deal for Fernando Torres to AC Milan
Chelsea and AC Milan have agreed to loan striker Fernando Torres to AC Milan.
A statement on the Chelsea website read:" Chelsea Football Club and AC Milan have agreed terms for the two-year loan deal of Fernando Torres to the Italian club.
"The move is now subject to Fernando agreeing personal terms with AC Milan and passing a medical examination."
Torres scored just 20 goals in 110 Premier League games since joining Chelsea from Liverpool in January 2011 for a then-British record fee of 50 million pounds. During his three years at Stamford Bridge, he won the Champions League and FA Cup in 2012, as well as the Europa League -- Torres scored in the final vs. Benfica -- a year later.
The 30-year-old was an unused substitute in Chelsea's opening Premier League game of the season at Burnley but was not in the squad for last weekend's match vs. Leicester.
Earlier on Friday, Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho said the Spanish international had not told him he wished to leave Stamford Bridge:
"He didn't speak with me," the Portuguese told a news conference. "What we have clear, as a club, is that we need three strikers to face the season. He is one of them. I like him as a person. I like him as a player. So if he wants to leave, it's something that he didn't say to me until this moment. Until this moment, he's our player and nothing more than that."
He said that, if Torres did want to leave, it is because he "wants to try a new life. A new club. Probably a new league."
He continued: "So if he wants to leave, which until this moment I have not heard one single word about it, I believe that it's to try to be happier than he was in the last couple of years. This is a very human club in the way the club approaches this kind of situation. If he comes to us in these last couple of days, any possibility would be analysed by us as a club and the best decision for him."
Torres' departure, which follows the sale of Romelu Lukaku to Everton in July as well as the departure at the end of his contract of of Samuel Eto'o, leaves Chelsea with just two senior strikers in Diego Costa and Didier Drogba. Costa was considered a doubt for Saturday's visit to Goodison Park but Mourinho insisted he is fit on Friday.