Liverpool considering move for Eto'o
Liverpool are considering a short-term move for Samuel Eto'o as manager Brendan Rodgers seeks a striker following the departure of Luis Suarez.
Cameroon international Eto'o is a free agent after being released by Chelsea at the end of last season.
While the Reds have not made an approach for him so far, he is one of a number of options being looked at, sources have told ESPN FC.
The 33-year-old striker has reportedly been in talks over a switch to Ajax as he considers his next move.
Summer transfer window roundup
- Premier League: Team-by-team ins and outs
- Transfer Centre: All the done deals
- Marcotti: Mind-boggling transfers
- Delaney: What did we learn on deadline day?
- Horncastle: European transfer grades
- Smith: Transfers more important than the game?
- Macintosh: We worship goals, not balance sheets
Rodgers is in the market for a striker, saying on Aug. 4 it was "crucial" that the club signed one before the transfer window closes on Sept. 1.
Suarez, last season's 31-goal top scorer, was sold to Barcelona for 75 million pounds in July, and the Reds looked to have sorted out an eight million-pound deal for QPR forward Loic Remy soon afterwards.
Remy got as far as flying to the U.S, where Liverpool were on a preseason tour, to undergo a medical, only for the deal to fall through.
Free to play: ESPN FC Premier League fantasy
- Sign up for our new game and challenge your friends
- Fantasy Blog: Tips for picking your squad | New names
- David Silva and Romelu Lukaku in hot fantasy form
- How to play the game -- fantasy rules in full
- FAQ: All your game questions answered
- Transfers: Check out the latest Premier League moves
- Fantasy HQ: Email us with your issues
Rodgers brought in Rickie Lambert from Southampton for four million pounds at the start of the summer to assist Daniel Sturridge in attack, while Fabio Borini remains on the books as he is reluctant to leave for Sunderland, who have agreed a 14 million-pound deal with the Reds to sign him.
But the manager feels it is necessary to add another striker to ensure his squad has the strength in depth to cope with the demands of the Premier League and the Champions League.
Eto'o, a former Barcelona and Inter Milan player, arrived at Chelsea from Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala in August 2013.
He scored nine goals in 21 Premier League appearances under Jose Mourinho last season before being released.