Alessandro Del Piero has revealed he plans to play on for another year, insisting he is not ready to retire yet.
Del Piero's playing contract with Sydney FC expired earlier this year and the 39-year-old, who had worked as a pundit for Sky Sport Italia during the World Cup in Brazil, was expected to hang up his boots.
However, the former Juventus forward, who won the World Cup with Italy in 2006, told vivoazzurro.it: "I've now got to see exactly what's best for me, but I want to carry on playing. It's my passion.
"I realise that I won't be able to indulge in it until I am 90, but I think I'm in good enough shape to play another year. That's my plan."
Regardless of his shelved retirement plans, Del Piero has at least one game of his playing career left. On Sunday, he will line up against Juventus as part of the A-League All Stars.
"It's going to be a special game," Del Piero said. "Not only for me, but also for the Australian Football Federation and all the players
"It's certainly going to be exciting coming face to face with my former team. I don't know what will happen because it's going to be a unique situation."