Red Bulls not targeting Ronaldinho
Brazilian star Ronaldinho will not be joining the New York Red Bulls, the club's sporting director said on Saturday.
Andy Roxburgh quashed any rumours that the newly available free agent could join the Red Bulls in an interview with BigAppleSoccer.com.
"Nobody has ever approached us," Roxburgh said. "We haven't been approached by anybody mentioning Ronaldinho. And the name suddenly comes at us and the answer is no."
Ronaldinho terminated his contract with Atletico Mineiro last week, with reports linking the 2005 Ballon D'Or winner to teams on multiple continents.
The Red Bulls would seem to be a good fit as any MLS squad, as they could use an attacking midfielder of Ronaldinho's quality and are also faced with losing designated players Thierry Henry (to retirement) and Tim Cahill (to Australia) after this season.
But according to Roxburgh, the Red Bulls won't move for the former Barcelona star.
"All I'm saying is this -- as the sporting director of this club, and I can speak also on behalf of my other colleagues in the business, we have not been approached about him," Roxburgh told the site. "Nobody has offered us Ronaldinho. No one has said, 'How much money?'
"I saw his name but I've never talked to Ronaldinho or his people or made any offers. And the answer is we wouldn't be doing it anyway. It's not a matter of did we or didn't we? Or who spoke to him or who didn't speak to him? A great player by the way, fantastic player by the way. He's not for here."
The 34-year-old has no plans to retire, with his representatives telling Globo last week, "'He will play until he's 42."