Tottenham Hotspur have confirmed they have agreed to sign Sporting Lisbon centre-back Eric Dier in a deal reported to be worth four million pounds.
We are delighted to announce that we have reached agreement with Sporting Lisbon for the transfer of Eric Dier, subject to a medical.- Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) July 31, 2014
Newcastle and West Ham had also been interested in Dier, who was born in England but moved to Portugal with his family when he was 7.
Free to play: ESPN FC Premier League fantasy
- Q&A: Why you need to reselect your fantasy squad
- Sign up for our new game and challenge your friends
- How to play the game -- fantasy rules in full
- Transfers: Check out the latest Premier League moves
- Fantasy Forum: Discuss your team and tactics
Dier progressed through Sporting's academy, which has also produced the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Luis Figo, before breaking into their first team.
The 20-year-old can provide cover at right-back as well as in defensive midfield and will become Spurs' third summer signing after the double swoop for Swansea's Michel Vorm and Ben Davies.
Dier has also featured five times for the England under-21 side.