Swansea chief warns Reds over Bony
Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins has told Liverpool they must come to him if they want to make an approach for striker Wilfried Bony.
Sources have told ESPN FC that Bony, 25, is among a number of forwards being monitored by Reds manager Brendan Rodgers as he looks to strengthen his squad.
Several reports on Friday morning -- shortly before Liverpool confirmed that an agreement had been reached with Barcelona for the transfer of Luis Suarez -- suggested they had already made a move for the Ivory Coast international.
Jenkins gave two newspaper interviews responding to those reports -- and insisted in both that he has had no contact with Liverpool over the striker.
Speaking to the Daily Mail, he appeared to suggest the Merseysiders had tried to contact Bony without his permission.
He said: "I was very surprised to hear, and disappointed to hear, that Liverpool had gone down that route and were talking to the player behind my club's back.
"I'm disappointed that Liverpool are acting in that manner. No official approach has been made to me or our football club."
However, in the South Wales Evening Post, Jenkins downplayed those comments and said: "I have had no talks with Liverpool until now, and I would be very surprised if a club like Liverpool are doing any kind of negotiations with a player or player's agent behind our back.
"I would have thought somebody from Liverpool would have been in touch if they are really interested in Wilfried.
"There's a way of doing things. I know things are different in this day and age, but the usual rule of thumb is that, when you are trying to complete a transfer, you deal with a club first and the player comes after that. That's the nature of the system."
Bony was Swansea's 25-goal top scorer last season, having arrived from Dutch Eredivisie club Vitesse Arnham for 12 million pounds in the summer of 2013.