Juan Bernat signs for Bayern Munich
Bayern Munich have announced the signing of Juan Bernat from Valencia, with the left-back revealing his delight at securing a move thought to be in the region of 10 million euros.
- Schaaf: Another left field option for Bayern
There had been speculation through recent months that highly rated young defender Bernat would leave Mestalla this summer, with representatives from Manchester United, Milan and Napoli having been spotted over recent months at Valencia games.
But Bayern have won the race for the talented youngster, as confirmed by statement released by the German club which said he had signed a five-year deal at the Allianz Arena.
"I am very happy to be able play at this great club in the future," Bernat said. "It's one of the biggest clubs in Europe and in the world. I am looking forward to being in a team with the likes of [Philipp] Lahm, [Manuel] Neuer, [Bastian] Schweinsteiger, [Arjen] Robben and [Franck] Ribery and to having Pep Guardiola as a coach. I will give my all to have success at this club."
Bayern sporting director Matthias Sammer welcomed the move for the Spain under-21 left-back, who will join compatriots Thiago Alcantara and Javi Martinez at the Allianz Arena.
"Juan Bernat is a remarkable, and young player, whom we have been scouting for a long time," Sammer said. "He is quick, ball-winning, and put pressure on the goal. We are certain that Juan Bernat is a good investment for the future of our team."
The fee was unconfirmed, with reports in Germany claiming Bayern had paid 10 million euros, and sources close to Valencia saying they would receive 11 million euros up front plus one million in add-ons. Los Che's statement on the deal stressed that Bernat had just one year left on his contract with them.
New signing Juan #Bernat will join training in Munich this coming Thursday, July 10th. He will wear the number 18.- FC Bayern English (@FCBayernEN) July 7, 2014
Having previously been seen more as a winger, the locally-born player established himself firmly as Valencia's first choice left-back during the 2013-14 campaign. Previously capped by Spain at U16, U17, U19 and U20 levels, he is now first-choice for the U21 side having made his debut against Belgium in February 2013.
Valencia's squad returned to training ahead of the new campaign on Monday under new coach Nuno Espirito Santo. New arrivals Nicolas Otamendi and Rodrigo de Paul were present, however other players including Jonas Goncalves and Adil Rami were given permission to stay away as they negotiate moves away.
The Mestalla club's future still very much up in the air, with Singapore businessman Peter Lim's purchase of its shares stalled as he has not yet reached agreement with lender Bankia.