Previous
Toulouse
Lens
6:30 PM GMT
Game Details
Werder Bremen
FC Cologne
6:30 PM GMT
Game Details
Aberdeen
Motherwell
6:45 PM GMT
Game Details
Fulham
Charlton Athletic
6:45 PM GMT
Game Details
Celta Vigo
Levante
7:00 PM GMT
Game Details
Brisbane Roar
Sydney FC
9:00 AM GMT
Game Details
Next

Valdes to rebuild fitness at United

Barclays Premier League 16 hours ago
Read

Shawcross not for sale

Transfers 6 days ago
Read
Jul 3, 2014

Monaco dismiss Falcao, James links

James Rodriguez has been the star of the World Cup, and his vision against Brazil will be crucial if Colombia are to advance past the hosts.
Radamel Falcao and James Rodriguez have both been linked with moves away from Monaco.

Monaco vice-president Vadim Vasilyev has played down talk of Radamel Falcao or James Rodriguez joining Real Madrid and confirmed the club have no interest in signing Victor Valdes.

- Rodriguez keen on La Liga, Real Madrid
- Radamel Falcao prays to Real Madrid

Speaking at the presentation of new manager Leonardo Jardim, Vasilyev said that no player is "not for sale" but that he expected that Falcao would be staying at the club.

When asked if Jardim had been assured that certain players would not be sold, Vasilyev said the club "never gives guarantees" but added there had been no discussions with any club over a transfer.

Vasilyev also discussed Rodriguez's importance to the team, and claimed the Colombia international, currently the top scorer at the 2014 World Cup, still has a lot to achieve at the club.

"Everyone was surprised when we paid such a big sum for him a year ago," Vasilyev said. "Now everybody is talking about him. That shows that we were right to bring him to the club.

"We believe in him a lot. He's very important to the team. He still has four years of his contract left and we're going to do a lot of good things together."

Vasilyev confirmed that the directors will once again be responsible for recruitment but that they would be working closely with Jardim.

One player who will not be joining the club is Valdes, who tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee while playing for Barcelona in March.

"I can confirm that we had contact, even negotiations, with him and his entourage," Vasilyev said. "As you know he's injured so he can't join us.

"But we discussed it with Leonardo and we think that Danijel Subasic has all the qualities needed to be Monaco's No. 1, especially after the good season he's just had."

Vasilyev also addressed Monaco's ambitions for the new season, when they will make a return to the Champions League for the first time in a decade, and said their aim was to play attractive football and bring joy to their supporters on their return to European competition.

He said: "If we get out of the group we'll be very happy but we have to wait for the draw. We're fourth seeds and obviously it could be very difficult."

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.