Luis Suarez is ready to leave Liverpool for a new challenge in La Liga, his father-in-law has told Spanish television.
Suarez, 27, signed a new contract last season tying him to the English club until 2018, and has told Reds manager Brendan Rodgers that he wants to stay where he is next term.
However, reports in Spain have suggested that Barcelona and Real Madrid are preparing bids for the Uruguay international, with the speculation intensifying after his match-winning performance in Thursday's 2-1 World Cup win over England.
Some believe Suarez could be interested in a move to Barcelona as his wife's family live just 15 miles away in nearby Castelldefels, while the player featured on the front of Barca-supporting newspaper Mundo Deportivo on Monday, with the headline reading: "Suarez says yes to Barca."
The father of Suarez's wife, Gustavo Balbi, has told La Sexta that the time is right for his son-in-law to move to La Liga.
"This is the right moment for him to move," Balbi said. "He has shown all that he is. He has nothing else to prove there [in England]. If he leaves the Premier League, his best option would be to come here to Spain. In Liverpool he is very loved and respected, so he would not go to another English team out of respect for the fans. We would like him here, to have the grandkids here in Spain. I am convinced he would do well if he came here."
La Sexta claims that Suarez is unhappy with Rodgers for saying the team did not miss him at the start of the season when he was serving the final part of a 10-match suspension for biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic in the previous campaign. The striker is also reported to be unhappy with Liverpool's owners for denying him a move last summer.
However, sources have told ESPN FC that Liverpool are hopeful Suarez will stay at Anfield, even if Madrid or Barca make firm offers for his signature. Neither the player himself nor his representatives have given the Reds any signal that he wants to leave.
Liverpool, though, are aware that Suarez is likely to attract interest because of his impressive form over the last year, while his contract does include a release clause, although sources have refused to confirm reports that it stands at 65 million pounds.
The Reds have had no approach from Barca, despite being in contact with them in recent weeks to register an interest in winger Alexis Sanchez, while Madrid have yet to make an offer.
The striker has recovered from a knee injury to make a significant impact at the World Cup, scoring both of Uruguay's goals in the victory over England on Thursday.