Liverpool hopeful of Luis Suarez stay
Liverpool are hopeful that Luis Suarez will stay at the club in the face of any approach from Real Madrid or Barcelona, sources have told ESPN FC.
Reports in Spain have suggested that the Spanish giants are preparing bids for the Uruguay international.
But Liverpool are not resigned to losing Suarez, who told manager Brendan Rodgers at the end of last season that he was committed to the club.
Neither Suarez nor his representatives have given the Reds any signal that he wants to leave.
However, the club are aware that he is likely to attract bids because of his impressive form over the last year.
And his contract does include a release clause, although sources have refused to confirm reports that it stands at 65 million pounds.
Reports have suggested that Suarez could be interested in a move to Barcelona, as his wife's family live just 15 miles away in nearby Castelldefels.
But the Reds have had no approach from Barca, despite being in contact with them in recent weeks to register an interest in their Chile international winger Alexis Sanchez. So far, there has been no bid from Real Madrid either.
Having completed a 10-match suspension last September for biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic during a Premier League match, Suarez scored 31 goals as Liverpool finished runners-up to champions Manchester City, and won all three major domestic Footballer of the Year awards.
The 27-year-old has recovered from a knee injury to make a significant impact at the World Cup, scoring both of Uruguay's goals in a 2-1 Group D victory over England in Sao Paulo last Thursday.
Suarez made clear last summer that he wanted to leave Liverpool, who refused to sell despite two bids from Arsenal.
The striker ended up staying at Anfield, and last December signed a contract extension that committed him to the club until 2018.