Yaya Toure: My future is open
Yaya Toure has told beIN Sports he could leave Manchester City in the summer and again hinted he could seek a return to Barcelona.
• Curtis: Taking the cake
Toure, who left the Camp Nou in 2010, said "everything is open" when it comes to his future after it emerged he felt City had shown him a lack of respect over his 31st birthday celebrations last week.
"Yes, I have talked before about ending my career at Barcelona -- but we don't know because football is moving fast and you never know about tomorrow," Toure told beIN Sports in a TV interview on Tuesday night. "My agent, Dimitry, is always on the phone and he knows what he has to do because I trust him a lot.
"The main thing now is just to try and focus on the World Cup and he knows what he has to do because we were always open about everything and I am able to talk with him for a couple of days now.
"Because of the brilliant season Manchester City have had, everybody is talking about me and everything is open and we don't know tomorrow."
Toure's agent, Dimitry Seluk, told The Sun on Tuesday that his client was unhappy that City's owners had shown "disrespect" by apparently snubbing Toure's birthday while the club were on tour in Abu Dhabi.
A host of clubs are reported to be monitoring the situation but sources have made it clear to ESPN FC that City are not prepared to sell such an influential player or improve the terms of a long-term contract Toure signed last year.
City fans were given hope on Tuesday afternoon when Toure wrote on Twitter: "Please do not take words that do not come out of MY mouth seriously. Judge my commitment to @MCFC by my performances."
However, that tweet was later deleted, with the agent claiming it was not written by the player. Toure also backed his agent's stance in another tweet.
Everything dimitry said is true . He speaks for me . I will give an interview after world cup to explain- yaya toure (@Toure_yaya42) May 20, 2014
City, however, are not worried about Toure trying to leave, a source told ESPN FC, given that he has three years left on the lucrative contract he signed last year.
The club, who are conscious that Seluk also suggested Toure wanted a new challenge and could leave after they won the Premier League in 2012, are insistent that the player has been treated well this season.
Players and staff sang happy birthday to him on a plane during their postseason trip to Abu Dhabi last week while the club's official Twitter account also wished him well on the day he turned 31.
However, Seluk told BBC Sport that the club should have done more.
"He got a cake but when it was Roberto Carlos' birthday, the president of Anzhi gave him a Bugatti," he said. "I don't expect City to present Yaya with a Bugatti -- we only asked that they shook his hand and said: 'We congratulate you.' It is the minimum they must do when it is his birthday and the squad is all together.
"I hear one newspaper has written that City congratulated him from Twitter but this is a joke. It is better they don't put anything on Twitter if they are not saying anything to him.
"The club's owners ate a 100kg cake after winning the Premier League this season but when they and the players were all together, none of them shook his hand on his birthday. It shows they don't care about him.
"Of course Yaya is upset about this. If this happened to you as a journalist in the BBC and nobody shakes your hand, you will say bye-bye and go to work for somebody else. It is normal."