Thomas Tuchel is to leave Mainz after five years at the helm.
Mainz qualified for the Europa League on Saturday after a 3-2 victory over Hamburg secured a seventh-place finish in the Bundesliga, but the celebrations were overshadowed by rumours Tuchel was on his way out.
On Sunday, Mainz sporting director Christian Heidel confirmed at a news conference that Tuchel has asked the club to cancel the final year of his contract but said that, while he would be allowed to leave, his deal has not been terminated.
"We are interested in a solution, but contracts are contracts and, here at Mainz, we see them out," Heidel explained. "It has always been clear to him that he would not be able to switch clubs without FSV Mainz 05."
Tuchel, who had dismissed speculation linking him with Bayer Leverkusen last month, has a strong reputation in Germany after establishing Mainz as a Bundesliga club.
However, Heidel said the 40-year-old felt his mission at the club was over and revealed he had approached the hierarchy as early as January stating that he wanted to leave at the end of the season.
The sporting director also said that Schalke had made contact in February to enquire about the availability of the Mainz coach.
"I told Schalke sporting director Horst Heldt that they have no chance," Heidel said. "I advised him to sign Thomas Tuchel in 2015 but said 2014 is an absolute no-go. It's characteristic of Mainz that nothing was leaked [to the media]."