Borussia Dortmund have extended the contract of injured midfielder Ilkay Gundogan through to the end of the 2015-16 season, the club announced on Tuesday.
Sidelined by a back injury, Gundogan has not played a minute of first-team football since August, and the new deal ends speculation that his career could be in jeopardy.
Gundogan shone in Dortmund's run to the Champions League final last season and scored from the penalty spot against Bayern Munich.
Last week, Dortmund manager Juergen Klopp revealed Gundogan would not be able to return this season, in all likelihood ending the 23-year-old's chances of making Germany's World Cup squad as well.
"It is clear that, within this narrow time frame, Ilkay will not make it," Klopp said. "It's getting better all the time. But as bitter as it is for all involved, especially for Ilkay, you just need to accept that this thing needs time."
Germany coach Joachim Loew told kicker last week that Gundogan's top priority was to fully return to fitness rather than rushing back to make the World Cup squad.
Gundogan has made eight appearances with the German national team, scoring twice.
In January, it appeared Gundogan might return to first-team action, but bronchitis disrupted his winter training camp.
An inflamed nerve then prolonged his absence, leading to uncertainty about Gundogan's career prospects.