Barcelona's signing of Alen Halilovic should go through this summer despite the transfer ban which has been imposed on the La Liga giants, according to Bosman case lawyer Jean Louis Dupont.
The Catalan club announced last week that they had signed Halilovic from Dinamo Zagreb for an initial fee of 2.2 million euros, with the teenager set to play for Barca B next season.
But that deal -- as well as a reported move for Borussia Moenchengladbach goalkeeper Marc Andre ter Stegen -- was thrown into question when FIFA announced on Wednesday that Barca would not be able to sign any players for two transfer windows after being found guilty of breaking rules related to youth transfers. Barcelona later announced they will appeal the sanction.
Belgian lawyer Dupont, who played a leading role in the famous case involving player Jean-Marc Bosman which forced FIFA to change its transfer rules in the 1990s, told Catalan radio show Esports RAC1 that he is representing Halilovic and that the timing involved meant the transfer would still go through as planned.
“I cannot imagine for even a second that my client Alen Halilovic will not be able to play for Barcelona,” Dupont said. “The operation took place before the punishment was imposed.”
Dupont also backed what appears to be Barca’s defence in the case, that their La Masia academy provides an excellent all-round education for youngsters, and should not be subject to rules designed to combat the ‘trafficking’ of children by unscrupulous agents and clubs.
“FIFA has done well to identify the problem,” he said. “But I believe they are giving out the wrong medicine. When FIFA’s prohibitions do not allow a future for a boy and his family, it is the rules which are wrong. It does not surprise me that Barca sign a kid of 11 years old, if guarantees are given that he will be given an education and correct social support.”