Dinamo Zagreb executive director Zdravko Mamic is set to be barred from attending games at Hajduk Split after fighting in the director’s box during a 2-0 win at the Poljud Stadium on Saturday.
Mamic, who had earlier announced his intention to leave his role following fan pressure, was filmed fighting with 77-year-old former Hajduk player Ivo Bego during a match that left Dinamo 11 points clear at the top of the table.
Bego -- who has reportedly received many phone calls congratulating him for his actions -- later explained to Jutarnji List that he had been incensed by the way Mamic had celebrated Dinamo’s success.
“He’s an idiot,” Bego said. “He came to Split to abuse our young people and our audience. He was swearing at us, telling us 'where to go' in a derisive way. I couldn't tolerate it.”
Asked if he regretted what happened, he added: “Only because of my family. Why would I be sorry? If only we could get into the ring and sort it out...”
Hajduk president Marin Brbic said Mamic would most likely no longer be allowed to attend games at his club.
“The supervisory board will make the decision, but my attitude is that Mamic should be barred from the Poljud,” he said in Sportske Novosti. “We have seen this hooliganism before and he is no longer welcome in our stadium. Just as we ban rioting hooligans from coming to games, we should ban Zdravko Mamic.”