Manchester United are still hopeful of signing Southampton's Luke Shaw this summer, after sources close to the south coast club told ESPN FC that the bid made by the Old Trafford side for the left-back last month "remains on the table."
The Daily Mirror reported that United had lodged a 22.5 million pound bid for Shaw on Jan. 24, with ESPN FC sources confirming an offer had been received for the full-back from the reigning Premier League champions.
United’s hopes of signing Shaw were dented by the public declaration from Saints owner Katharina Liebherr that she would not sanction the sale of any of the club’s prized assets in the recent transfer window.
“We have said that we have no plans to sell any of the squad during the January transfer window,” the Southampton owner said in a statement three days before United made their move for Shaw, with Saints manager Mauricio Pochettino also being assured that none of his best players would leave as he agreed to stay at the club following the departure of executive chairman, Nicola Cortese.
However, sources close to the Saints indicate United have made it clear that their interest in Shaw remains strong -- although they could face competition from Chelsea, who are reported to be interested in the 18-year-old graduate of the Southampton youth team set-up.
Shaw, who has represented England at under-21 level, has been impressive form for Southampton this season and is thought to be in contention to make Roy Hodgson's senior squad for the 2014 World Cup.