Toronto FC unveils Julio Cesar
Brazil goalkeeper Julio Cesar was unveiled Toronto FC on Friday after joining on loan from Queens Park Rangers.
Brazil's O Globo first reported the deal last week.
QPR were looking to offload Cesar's reported 90,000 pounds-a-week wage from their bill, especially for a player fielded only once in the last nine months. Cesar last saw action for QPR in their 4-0 FA Cup loss to Everton on Jan. 4
Manager Harry Redknapp had said publicly he would not oppose a move.
Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari told the media last September that Julio Cesar was the only player with a guaranteed roster spot on the Selecao, but Cesar feared for his starting status. "Cesar needs minutes before the World Cup and Toronto can give them to him," said a source close to the player.
Cesar has been Scolari's first choice since the manager took over the Selecao for a second stint in November 2012.
At 34, Cesar won back the place he lost after the 2010 World Cup thanks to Scolari's desire to bring more experienced players to the young group he inherited from Mano Menezes.
Cesar repaid his faith by becoming one of the leaders in the group and putting on important displays for Brazil, such as a penalty save against Uruguay in the semifinals of last year's Confederations Cup.
Scolari's final World Cup team selection is due May 7.
Before agreeing to a move to the MLS, Cesar had been reportedly approached by a string of European sides, including former employers Inter Milan, with whom he won the Champions League under Jose Mourinho in 2010.
All suitors, though, balked at the player's wages and conditioned the move to a pay cut. The demand also stalled chances of a return to Brazil, where Cesar had been linked to Gremio.
Toronto recently added U.S. midfielder Michael Bradley from Roma as well as England's Jermaine Defoe from Tottenham and 24-year-old Brazilian forward Gilberto.
The MLS season begins on March 15.