Inter Milan left it late as they completed the signing of Hernanes from Lazio on Friday night.
After two days of negotiations, and with the player already in Milan having completed a medical, Inter deposited the Brazilian's contract with the Lega Serie A 15 minutes before the closure of the transfer window.
Hernanes has joined Inter for a fee that could rise to 20 million euros, making him the first major signing of Erick Thohir's reign as Inter president. But Lazio failed in their attempts to replace Hernanes with Parma forward Jonathan Biabiany, who turned down a last-minute move to the Biancoceleste.
Hernanes insisted it had been his decision to leave Lazio as he completed a move to Inter Milan.
The 28-year-old left Lazio's Formello training ground in tears on Thursday after the two clubs reached an agreement over a 15 million euro transfer.
However, the attacking midfielder said his sadness was at leaving behind the city where he has spent the last three and a half years.
Lazio fans congregated in front of club president Claudio Lotito's home on Thursday night to protest against the sale of the player and call on him to resign.
However, Hernanes said he was not forced to leave.
"I would like to explain to you my tears because I see that they've been misinterpreted," Hernanes wrote on his Facebook page. "I cried yesterday not because the club, in the form of [director of sport] Igli Tare and the president were forcing me to leave. I didn't cry for that.
"I cried because there were negotiations between the two clubs and there was the possibility of me leaving you; the possibility of leaving Rome, a place I love, the fans I love and people I love. I told the president that I would like to go because I believe it's the best thing for me professionally.
"Despite his attempts to keep hold of me with excellent financial offers, like the one after the match against Napoli with which he tried right to the end. I would like to thank him because he was always correct with me. But it is my decision. "