Loic Remy will miss the Tyne-Wear derby as Alan Pardew has confirmed Newcastle United will not appeal the red card he picked up during the 0-0 draw against Norwich City.
Remy, 27, was sent off for violent conduct late in the second half of Tuesday night’s game for an off-the-ball incident with Bradley Johnson and now faces a three-match ban, which will rule him out of Premier League clashes with Sunderland, Chelsea and Tottenham.
Pardew said Johnson had overplayed the incident, in which the player’s heads came together, but felt referee Chris Foy had been given enough justification to dismiss the pair.
He told the media: "There is a bit of pushing and shoving the players have come together. There is probably just enough for the referee to send them off, but Johnson's reaction to the heads meeting, in terms that he got a head-butt when he did not, was the catalyst for them both to get sent off.
“It was his own fault, if he had not have done that then maybe the referee would have taken a more lenient view, but he made such a drama out of it he should be ashamed of himself really.
“We won't appeal, because I think there was enough for Chris there, but once he done that stupid reaction, the crowd went all mad and he [referee] has got no choice really.”
Norwich boss Chris Hughton, meanwhile, said the Canaries may appeal Johnson’s red card.
“Johnson's sending off was incredibly soft,” he said. “I presumed something else had happened apart from what I did see, which was him push Remy in the chest -- over aggressively? Not really. Bradley has not gone down on the floor. All he has done is pull his head away.
"Bradley Johnson is not the type of player who would look to get someone sent off. My gut feeling is we will appeal, but you always have to look at it again and make the right decisions.”