Borussia Moenchengladbach goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen has denied he has already agreed to join Barcelona -- as Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola hailed him as one of the best in the world.
Ter Stegen put in a Man of the Match performance on Friday as he single-handedly spared his team from a thrashing at the hands of Bayern at their Borussia Park home, though they were still beaten 2-0.
Earlier this month ter Stegen announced that he will not enter into talks over a new deal with Gladbach. It is widely believed that the 21-year old will, in the summer, succeed Victor Valdes as No. 1 at Barcelona, with the Foals wanting to cash in on their keeper before his contract runs out in 2015.
In an interview with Welt am Sonntag, ter Stegen rejected media reports that he has already put pen to paper on a Barcelona contract.
“It’s nonsense to report that I have already signed,” ter Stegen insisted. “That’s just not true. But someone always wants to weigh in with his opinion, and that’s how rumours start. If there is any news then we will announce it.”
Meanwhile, Guardiola was full of praise for the 21-year-old Germany international.
“Ter Stegen is one of the best keepers in the world," former Barca boss Guardiola told reporters after the game. "He is fast and very good with his feet. Should Barcelona sign him, I can only congratulate them."
On Saturday, ter Stegen thanked Guardiola for the comments. “That’s a great honour for me, and it delights me,” ter Stegen told Express.