Everton manager Roberto Martinez has confirmed that his club have agreed a deal to sign Monaco striker Lacina Traore on loan until the end of the season, subject to a work permit being granted.
West Ham boss Sam Allardyce revealed on Monday that his club lost out in the race to sign Traore, after Everton stepped in with a rival offer. It seems as if the Merseyside club are close to sealing the move.
"Lacina is a player who I really like and is someone who would fit in in really well in the role we want the player to come in," Martinez said.
"There are a couple of hurdles that we need to get over. The work permit is something we need to look into. If we can get through that he will be a player we will be very keen to add to the squad.
"Every work permit is difficult. We have a very strong case of showing why we need Lacina with us.
"He is a very talented footballer. He is only 23 and has already had a couple of moves [costing in total] nearly 30 million pounds but every work permit is a difficult one and we will try our best."
There had been reports that Traore was struggling to pass a medical at Everton, but Martinez was quick to clear up those stories.
"He had a recent soft tissue problem but it is not too bad," added the Everton manager. "He is a few days away from being fully fit and we were quite happy with the medical."
Meanwhile, Martinez has revealed his Republic of Ireland full-back Seamus Coleman limped off in Monday night's 1-1 draw at West Bromwich Albion.
Coleman has been a shining star for Everton this season, yet Martinez hinted his 25-year-old star may be set for a spell on the sidelines after his night at the Hawthorns ended prematurely.
"Coleman felt his hamstring a little bit and we will assess him," said the Everton boss. "It's not a good sign because he would never normally want to come off."