David Moyes has denied claims Manchester United are close to signing Real Madrid left-back Fabio Coentrao.
It had been reported that United were close to signing the Portugal international, who had been linked with a move to Old Trafford on the final day of the summer transfer window.
Reports from the continent had suggested that terms were now agreed with the player, but after Tuesday night's 2-1 Capital One Cup semifinal first-leg defeat at Sunderland, Moyes said: “No, that's not true.”
Widespread reports have claimed Moyes will be given significant funds to strengthen his squad, but he had acknowledged after the 2-1 defeat to Swansea in the FA Cup at the weekend that it would be tricky to make signings midseason.
He said: “There is an urgency that we would like to bring people in but are those players available in January? So there is no point in me hyping it up because the players we would like to bring in are probably not available, not because we don’t want to do it.”
Information from the Press Association was used in this report.