Rafa plays down Luiz and Mata links
Napoli coach Rafael Benitez has said he believes his side need reinforcing -- but ruled out the possibility of Juan Mata, David Luiz or Javier Mascherano arriving.
The club has targeted a return to the Champions League next season, but Benitez -- who won last season's Europa League as the interim Chelsea manager -- said it was important to approach the window realistically.
"The January transfer window is difficult," he told a news conference. "For example, it's not easy to find players who are better than [Federico] Fernandez and [Miguel] Britos. It's unthinkable that Chelsea, who have to win the Premier League and the Champions League, would deprive themselves of David Luiz or Mata.
"The same goes for Mascherano, who will not be leaving Barcelona. We need to buy big players who fit in well with our style. We're making a lot of moves, putting in our bids, but they are not always accepted."
Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis had hinted that a player with whom the club had been negotiating for several months could be presented on Monday prior to their Serie A game with Sampdoria. But no announcement was made prior to the Stadio San Paolo fixture.
Napoli are close to agreeing a fee with Olympique Lyonnais for Maxime Gonalons, but face competition from Roma for Radja Nainggolan -- the player who had been expected to be that new arrival.
Bayern Munich, who had also been linked with a move for Luiz, have also said they will not be bidding for the Brazil international.