Borussia Dortmund playmaker Marco Reus has moved to end speculation linking him with a move to Manchester United in January, insisting he wants to stay in Westphalia.
Reus, 24, had recently been linked with a 50 million euros transfer to United during the winter break, but the Germany international told Bild on Thursday: “I have got a valid contract at Dortmund and I am happy to be here.”
The former Borussia Moenchengladbach man has a 35 million euro release clause in his contract, which, according to earlier reports, can only be triggered in 2015.
“I can only say, I don’t think about that,” Reus told Bild when asked if he would consider triggering his release clause like former teammate Mario Goetze did last year. “Everything other than Dortmund is still far away right now.”
Reus did, however, admit that being linked to top clubs like Barcelona or Manchester United is “an honour”.
With the midfielder staying put in Dortmund, he is eyeing a good start to 2014 with his current side. Toward the end of 2013, Dortmund dropped numerous points in the Bundesliga and are currently fourth in the standings.
“We have to stay realistic,” Reus said. “Bayern are too convincing, and have won nearly all points. We’ve had our fair share of injury troubles and were not able to compensate that. But I promise: We will attack again.
“Bayern are currently the best side in Europe, but that’s also an incentive for us to get better.”
Reaching the Champions League and World Cup finals are among Reus’ major aims for 2014, with the midfielder saying: “Those are two big goals. And both are not out of reach. It’s a big goal for Germany to finally lift the World Cup trophy once again. Right from the start, we need to give it our all.”