Meulensteen hopeful over Berbatov stay
Fulham head coach Rene Meulensteen has played down talk that Dimitar Berbatov could leave the club in January.
Berbatov, 32, joined Fulham in 2012 after four years with Manchester United, but his agent had said last month that he was “not happy” at Craven Cottage and was considering his options.
That story emerged shortly after Meulensteen was promoted to head coach in place of Martin Jol, and the Cottagers boss told his news conference on Friday: "That was before I took over. I had a chat with him.
"I know he is very committed to this football club and the games we have in front of us. That's what we both said -- concentrate on the games we have up to January and then review the situation as it comes."
Berbatov has enjoyed an upturn in form since Meulensteen took charge and the Dutchman, who had previously worked with the Bulgarian during his time on the coaching staff at United, hopes he has persuaded him his future is with Fulham.
He said: "I could well have done because look at the performances he has put in. He has been excellent, absolutely fantastic for us."