Villarreal attacker Giovani Dos Santos has said he believes his high-flying side are capable of getting a result against his old team Barcelona on Saturday.
• Hunter: Road to recovery
The Yellow Submarine’s last visit to the Camp Nou was on the opening weekend of the 2011-12 season – a day that saw them hammered 5-0.
Dos Santos said that, despite still being a force to be reckoned with, the current Barcelona team were not hitting the same heights and in-form Villarreal were well capable of taking something from the match.
“It seems that they are having some more difficulties this season, although regardless of whether they are on a bad run or not they have great players and are the best team in the world,” he added.
“We are going there with a lot of respect, but not fear. Our idea is to go there and get a good result."
Dos Santos joined Barca’s youth set-up at the age of 12, making his first-team debut aged 18 in September 2007 and scoring a hat-trick in La Liga against Murcia later that season.
However, he left for Tottenham at the end of that campaign and spent some time in limbo before establishing himself back in Spain, joining Real Mallorca last year and moving to Villarreal for six million euros in July.
The attacker, now 24, said he was looking forward to returning to the Camp Nou, explaining: “To return to Barcelona is always a very special game for me.
“This is the team which opened the doors of Europe for me, and where I became a player. I appreciate that, so there is no feeling of revenge or anything like that. I am a Villarreal player now, and I play for them, but I do not have to demonstrate anything to anyone.”