Former Crystal Palace player Geoff Thomas has put himself forward for the vacant manager’s job at Selhurst Park.
• Daly: Jedinak can help Palace
Thomas, an ex-England international, made 249 appearances for the Eagles and captained the side in the 1990 FA Cup final.
The diagnosis of chronic myeloid leukaemia shortly after his retirement in 2002 meant he was forced to switch his focus away from football.
However, Thomas, who has had no previous managerial experience, has confirmed he would love to succeed Ian Holloway at Palace.
“I was seriously interested in staying in football until I was diagnosed with the illness and my priorities completely changed,” Thomas told the Croydon Advertiser.
“I would love the opportunity to get back into football but it's risky. There are a few people who have said they'd take them with me to Palace and I would jump at that but they haven't ended up getting the job.
“There are a few jobs that I would take no questions asked and if Palace came knocking that would be it, my bags would be packed immediately. It seems like all my teammates have had a go, so I think I could do it. [Palace chairman] Steve Parish has got my number.”
Palace have now been searching for a new manager for four weeks, with Dynamo Moscow boss Dan Petrescu reportedly rejecting an offer, while current favourite Tony Pulis would not speak about the subject with the Press Association on Tuesday.
“I think if you appoint a stop-gap option until the summer now you miss one of the two windows of opportunity where you've got a chance to do something with the side,” Thomas added.
“I know [caretaker manager] Keith Millen personally and he really is a top guy, but I think if he was given the job then he would be worried about damaging his reputation. I think that's what a lot of people are worried about.
“I know a guy who if the job came up last year he would have been in the frame, but now a year later he's not flavour of the month. Football moves on very quickly.''
Elsewhere, Eagles midfielder Jonny Williams has stepped up his recovery from an ankle injury picked up in September.
The Wales international returned to action on Tuesday, playing the first half of Palace under-21s' 4-3 win against Queens Park Rangers.
Information from the Press Association was used in this report