Bayer Leverkusen striker Stefan Kiessling says he may not count his ‘ghost goal’ as he bids to top the Bundesliga goalscoring charts.
Kiessling, 29, who topped the list last season after netting on 25 occasions, scored the infamous ‘ghost goal’ at Hoffenheim last month.
After much controversy and an appeal from Hoffenheim, the sports court of the German Football Association decided not to allow a replay of the game and so the Germany international’s goal still stands.
Kiessling has found the back of the net six times in the league this season, and is only one goal behind the leading quartet.
However, speaking to Bild, the striker said that should he lead the top-scorer table by a single goal at the end of the season, then he will “contemplate” having the ‘ghost goal’ discounted.
“I indeed considered to not accept that and talked to a few people about that,” Kiessling said. “But it is as it is. We were given those three points. It is a difficult situation.”
Kiessling deactivated his Facebook page last week after he was the target of a number of aggressive threats.
But he said: “I think I will get the page back up again the week after next week at the latest. Everything will have calmed down by then. Everything else does not do justice to those fans who have backed me.”
Kiessling and Leverkusen, who are currently ranked fourth in Shaka Hislop’s ESPN FC Power Rankings, are back in action at bottom-of-the-table Eintracht Braunschweig on Saturday, before taking on Shakhtar Donetsk in the Champions League three days later.
Leverkusen currently sit third in the Bundesliga, tied on points with Borussia Dortmund, and are a single point behind leaders Bayern Munich.