Major League Soccer's LA Galaxy have denied they are pursuing injured Real Madrid midfielder Xabi Alonso, according to a report.
Rumors surfaced in Spain after Punto Pelota's Pipi Estrada predicted that Alonso's future was with either the Galaxy or the New York Red Bulls.
The Red Bulls declined to comment on the story, but the Galaxy said they "have not pursued" Alonso, according to MLSSoccer.com.
Estrada said: "Alonso is close to the age of 32 and if he ends up at one of these two clubs, he would sign for the next two years."
On Wednesday, Alonso bemoaned his injury-wrecked start and said it was too early yet to give a date for his return to action for Real Madrid.
Alonso was nearing a comeback from the groin operation which saw him miss Spain’s Confederations Cup campaign in the summer when he fractured a metatarsal at training in August.
The lack of midfield ‘balance’ in Madrid’s side has regularly been lamented by coach Carlo Ancelotti and it had been hoped Alonso might return to provide the answer, with the first Clasico at Barcelona on Oct. 26 mooted as a possible return date.
However that appears to have been overly optimistic. Speaking at a sponsors’ event, the former Liverpool midfielder told AS that his recovery had been more complicated than first expected. “I hope to be able to get out there again soon,” Alonso said. “It was a difficult summer, it was a difficult decision to make, missing the Confederations Cup."
Alonso said he could not give a date for when he might be back to full fitness.
Asked whether he might make it back for the Champions League group game away at Juventus on Nov. 5, Alonso was again non-committal, saying: "That is a nice game. We will see if I can play by then."