Borussia Dortmund midfielder Ilkay Gundogan could be sidelined for the remainder of 2013, according to Bild.
There was then speculation in the German media over the nature of the injury, and Bild ran a story claiming he required surgery. Gundogan dismissed the claim at the time, but Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc has now told the tabloid that there is uncertainty over the situation.
“He isn’t making significant progress,” Zorc told Bild. “We don’t know when he’ll be able to play again.”
Last month, Gundogan, 22, and Dortmund put talks over a contract extension on hold until he makes his return. The Germany midfielder is under contract until 2015, and Dortmund have been keen to prolong his stay amid links with the likes of Real Madrid, Arsenal and Manchester United.
His continued absence represents a problem for BVB, who are in the midst of an injury crisis that could see them without ten players for their Bundesliga meeting with Hannover on October 19.