Germany coach Joachim Low is planning talks with Bayer Leverkusen attacker Stefan Kiessling, after he last month ruled out a return to national team action as long as Low is in charge.
Following injuries to Germany's two main strikers Mario Gomez and Miroslav Klose, Low is facing a shortage of options for the final World Cup qualifiers. He will be without the two Italy-based forwards for his side’s final fixtures in Group C, which they currently top by five points from Sweden.
With his first-choice attackers ruled out, Low announced he would talk to the 29-year-old Kiessling, who has not played for Germany since the 2010 World Cup finals.
"Stefan Kiessling is a player who has shown good performances in the Bundesliga," Low said about last season’s Bundesliga top scorer on ARD Sportschau. "In the next few days I will talk to him. I have never written him off, he has very good qualities."
Low, however, added that he did not think Germany has a problem up front. "Klose and Gomez are the best options. But [Max] Kruse and [Kevin] Volland have also played themselves into the spotlight," he said, hinting at a possible first call-up for 21-year-old Hoffenheim attacker Volland.
The Germany boss has also not given up all hope of a quick Klose comeback, and said he and the :Lazio frontman would talk later in the week to see if there is any chance of him making the double header. "We, however, have to assume that he won’t be available," Low admitted.
"Low caught in the Kiessling trap," German football magazine kicker headlined on Monday. They suggested that Low is facing a difficult task selecting the squad and everything other than a call-up for Kiessling would "be hardly understandable".