Chelsea have completed the signing of Samuel Eto’o from Anzhi Makhachkala on a one-year contract.
Eto’o, 32, has been heavily linked with a move to the Premier League side in recent days with reports suggesting he will take a significant pay cut to be reunited with Jose Mourinho who managed him at Inter Milan.
The four-time African Player of the Year told Chelsea’s official website: “I am very happy to be here but also anxious because I want to get playing as soon as possible.
“It wasn't a hard decision. I saw the qualities Chelsea have, and I was very happy with Jose Mourinho before, so when the opportunity came, I was very happy to take it.”
Eto'o also revealed there had been missed opportunities to move to England before now, including a chance during Mourinho's first spell at Chelsea.
"I've had a couple of opportunities to come to England before, including the first time Jose was here, but it didn't work out for one reason or another," he said. "Since that time, I have had a career where I have been lucky enough to win a lot of trophies in different countries, but one of my last dreams as a professional is to come and play in England and see if I can have the same success as in my previous clubs. I don't see it as a final challenge, but to have a good time, enjoy my football, and have success with this team."
The signing would appear to signal the end of Chelsea's pursuit of Wayne Rooney, while also putting the future of Demba Ba and Fernando Torres in doubt.
Following Monday evening's Premier League draw against Manchester United, Mourinho asked Rooney to make his situation clear by asking for a transfer or pledging his future to United. On Wednesday, Rooney, who has been reluctant to hand in a transfer request, thanked United's fans for their support.
Ba has been linked with a return to Newcastle on loan, while Mourinho's decision to start without a striker at Old Trafford has led to speculation about Torres' chances of playing regularly this season.