Geoffrey Kondogbia has told Sevilla he is leaving, with Monaco thought to have offered the €20 million needed to trigger his release clause.
Earlier this week, reports suggested that the France international midfielder, who has been linked with clubs including Arsenal, Manchester City, Real Madrid, Juventus, Inter Milan, Borussia Dortmund and Paris Saint Germain, was close to finalising a move to the big-spending Ligue 1 outfit.
On Tuesday evening, Sevilla announced on their official website that the 20-year-old’s buyout clause was to be triggered. “The French midfielder Geoffrey Kondogbia is already history at Sevilla FC,” a statement said.
“On Tuesday, the Gallic international communicated officially to the Nervion club that he is going to unilaterally withdraw from the contract which ties him to the club by making use of the release clause.
“The €20 million included in this is going to be deposited soon with the Liga de Futbol Profesional, according to the footballer, who this afternoon did not attend training so he has not been able to personally say goodbye to his team-mates.”
Sevilla president Jose Maria del Nido had previously said the club did not want to sell Kondogbia, and that he and investors the Doyen Group -- who reportedly own 50% of the player’s rights -- had agreed that he would stay for another season.
However, the complicated arrangement by which Sevilla signed the player from Lens in summer 2012 meant Del Nido and his club were powerless to control the situation.
Many of Monaco’s other big summer signings -- including Radamel Falcao, James Rodriguez, Joao Moutinho and Ricardo Carvalho -- are believed to be closely linked to the Doyen Group and Portuguese super-agent Jorge Mendes.
Former Queens Park Rangers utility man Stephane M’Bia, who earlier this week joined Sevilla on a year’s loan including an option to buy next summer, trained with the club on Tuesday and travelled with the squad to Poland for Thursday’s Europa League play-off second leg at Slask. Sevilla have a 4-1 lead in the tie.