Gareth Bale did not arrive for Tottenham training on Tuesday morning, as the winger’s protracted €100 million transfer to Real Madrid became even more fractious.
• Crace: Willian replacement required
Sources have told ESPN that the player is hugely frustrated with the situation and determined to push the deal through. Complicating matters is the fact that Spurs chairman Daniel Levy has grown increasingly irritated with the Spanish club’s conduct over the past few days, as they continue to behave as if the deal is already completed. A stage to unveil Bale was erected at the Bernabeu at the weekend, while there was also a technical error when Real jerseys with the player’s name and the number 11 were visible on the Madrid side’s website.
Spurs have claimed there is another bid for the 24-year-old and, although Manchester United manager David Moyes clarified that the English champions had made no offer, he did not deny there had been contact between the clubs.
"Manchester United are always interested in the best players and the board and myself would always be looking to sign who we think are the best players, wherever they are," Moyes said after his side's 0-0 draw with Chelsea.
The Old Trafford outfit have kept abreast of proceedings with Bale all summer, even though it is accepted that any move would depend on the complete -- and highly unlikely -- collapse of the deal with Real Madrid. The Welsh forward has had a long-standing ambition to eventually move to the Bernabeu, with those close to him describing it as a "dream".
As frustrated as Levy has been with Real, however, some Tottenham sources have broached that the White Hart Lane chairman is merely buying time to properly replace Bale. Some feel the move would have been sanctioned last week -- as many at Real believed was going to be the case -- had Chelsea not hijacked the transfer of Willian from Anzhi Makhachkala.